Why are prisons the most spiritually fertile harvest field on this planet? Part 10 of 10
People have asked me, why do I say that prisons are the most fruitful spiritual harvest field on this planet? I would like to share 10 reasons with you over the next few weeks and thank you for investing prayer, money and time to help us bring Glory to God as inmates and their families come to faith in Christ.
For review here are the previous nine:
1. Most inmates are very discouraged. They need to hear the Good News and Hope that only comes from God’s Word.
2. In prison, they have plenty of time to study God’s Word.
3. Many are looking for purpose and meaning to life (Living for Christ gives an eternal purpose)
4, In prison, there are fewer worldly distractions (No cell phones, no internet, etc)
5. All inmates need to be loved (The Word of God tells the truth of the ultimate source of love)
6. In prison, they have time to reflect on the bad choices they have made and many looking to change.
7. All inmates suffer from loneliness (many have very few visitors, a visit from PMA, brings Hope, correspondence instructor letters are like Christmas)
8. Many have reached a point of humbleness, brokenness and a contrite heart- rock bottom so to speak. They are ready to listen to God and His will for their life
9. Many have a hunger to study God’s Word.
This week we look at #10. Most have realized they are sinners and cannot save themselves (In contrast to many outside think they are good people and don’t need God).
When i do evangelism outside many people I talk to tell me they don’t feel they are a sinner and don’t need God. This is important for people to realize they need Christ as their savior because of their sin.
If you go fishing, isnt it better to go where the fish are biting so you catch the most fish? So it is with prison and jail ministry, you will find the people are ready to hear the good news as they realize they are a sinner and need a savior.
John 4:35 “ … open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest.” This scripture is one that Christ tells of the opportunity. I say look at the prisons and jails near you, they are ripe for a spiritual harvest!
If you need help in how to get started please email or call me, Pastor Dwight , 612-423-3457, dwight @prisonmission.org